About the course
This intensive one-day course is a great place to start your training. It gives marketers a complete overview of all the essential digital marketing disciplines, how they can work together in your marketing strategy and helps to highlight areas for further in-depth learning.
This one-day course will look at the key considerations for digital marketers, how to build the dream online strategy and assess what the future has in store.
This course will run through the acquisition tools (search, affiliate marketing, display advertising) and retention techniques (email, web personalization) as well as some of the management issues (legal issues, data gathering, integration with offline activity).
It will also demystify the technical jargon commonly used in digital marketing such as RSS feeds, mash-ups, tag clouds, AJAX, social bookmarking and more...all in a simple, easy to understand way.
Who should attend?
This course is ideal for those with experience of traditional, offline marketing but little or no exposure to online marketing channels, or to those with experience in specific digital disciplines who want to know how different channels can fit together.
How will I benefit?
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand how to weave together acquisition and retention tools to deliver an efficient digital marketing strategy
- How to build great websites through content, navigation and optimizing them using analytics
- Evaluate traffic-driving techniques to get more of the right people to your site, profitably
- Use log-ins and email marketing to stay close and build long-term relationships
What will I learn?
The course is broken down into manageable modules, most of which include either exercises or case studies for you to work through.
Setting the Scene
- What do we mean by digital marketing?
- Why integration is important
- Some key terms and definitions
- Who is online?
- How do people use the internet?
- Knowing your customers - external resources
- Knowing your customers - internal data
Planning and Strategy
- What is different about planning online?
- Some planning models to build with
- Budgeting - why it is different in digital marketing
- A few legal considerations
- Why you need to identify individuals
- What data do you need to gather?
- Click-stream data - you are what you click
Website Design and Usability
- Setting objectives
- Planning your website - functionality, navigation and content
- Customer personas and customer journeys
- Copywriting for the web
- Usability testing - how to make sure things are working
- What's new - on-demand video, mashups, user generated content
Tracking and Measurement
- What can you measure and how do you measure
- What does 'good' look like - key metrics
- Traffic-driving - advertising, search, email, affiliates and referrals
- Web measurement - what you can track and how you can use it
Testing in Digital Marketing
- Why online is a testing paradise?
- How do you test?
- What can you test?
- How is writing for the web different to offline?
- Costs, skills and time-scales - how to manage the creative process
- Tone of voice guidelines
- An integrated creative experience from offline to online
- Some great websites and emails to get you thinking
The Digital Marketing Toolkit
- Display Advertising - pricing, creative and optimization
- SEO - what is it and how do you do it better?
- Paid Search - what is it and how do you do it better?
- Affiliate Marketing - what is it and how do you do it better?
- Email marketing - acquisition and retention
- Viral Marketing - why it's hard to get right
- Online PR - what are the secrets?
- Interactive TV - what can it do for your business?
- Mobile - acquisition and retention...anywhere!
- Other acquisition tools - gaming, blogging, podcasting
- Key considerations for digital marketers
- What will the future hold?
- How to build the dream online strategy
- Further reading and sites to keep an eye on