Authors: David Moth and Graham Charlton
About this report
This report contains best practice tips and case studies for improving the mobile commerce user experience and giving ideas for how mobile can be used as part of a broader multichannel strategy.
It is split into three main areas:
More than 50% of the UK population now owns a smartphone and some sites receive more than 30% of traffic from mobile devices, so the importance of mobile commerce cannot be ignored.
This section looks at the key factors for creating a user-friendly mobile experience and looks at why eBay and Amazon have proved to be so successful.
This section looks at the difference between mobile and desktop search, and asks whether brands are making the most of the opportunity.
Mobile's role in a multichannel strategy
Many retailers see consumer use of mobile in-store, or 'showrooming', as a threat to their business, but the truth is it's only going to become more common.
This section looks at ways in which retailers can turn showrooming to their advantage by using mobile to enhance the in-store experience.
Table of Contents
- About Econsultancy
- About the authors
- David Moth (lead author)
- Graham Charlton
- Mobile statistics
- Mobile usage and ownership
- Mobile commerce
- Mobile search
- Mobile usage survey
- How consumers use their smartphones
- Consumer use of mobile commerce
- Barriers to mobile commerce
- What type of products do mobile shoppers purchase?
- Consumer expectations of retail apps
- Use of mobile in-store
- Mobile commerce
- The importance of speed for mobile commerce
- Mobile performance and customer expectations
- Minimising page weight
- Speed doesn't mean ugly
- Test for speed
- Use a Content Distribution Network (CDN)
- Avoid redirection
- How mobile-optimised sites drive conversion rates and AOVs (Average Order Values)
- In summary
- What can we learn from Amazon’s success in mobile commerce?
- Why eBay’s mobile apps are so popular
- Are mobile checkouts simple enough to capture repeat shoppers?
- Mobile checkouts: top 20 online retailers reviewed
- Essential mobile checkout features
- Mobile commerce: tips for maximising conversions
- The mobile site search experience
- Mobile site navigation
- Mobile search
- How do mobile and desktop SEO differ, and how can you improve rankings
- Mobile search and PPC: are finance brands missing an opportunity?
- Benefits of optimising sites for mobile search
- Most visible sites for ‘mortgages’
- Most visible sites for 'insurance'
- Most visible sites for 'loans'
- Bricks-and-mortar stores are failing to take advantage of mobile search
- Optimising mobile landing pages
- Good and bad examples of click-to-call mobile CTAs
- Mobile as part of a multichannel strategy
- B&Q’s Club app is the perfect mobile loyalty scheme
- Examples of location-based mobile campaigns
- Tips for improving store locator tools
- Store finders: tips for implementation
- How shoppers use smartphones in-store
- Should retailers offer in-store Wi-Fi?
- Why offer Wi-Fi?
- Why do customers find in-store Wi-Fi useful?
- Does providing free Wi-Fi work for retailers?
- How can retailers respond to the threat of showrooming?
- More reasons for retailers to offer Wi-Fi in stores
- Retailers can't fight the mobile shopper
- Wi-Fi influencing the choice of store
- What are consumers using in-store Wi-Fi for?
- What should retailers do?
- How Evans Cycles uses QR codes in-store to deliver product details and reviews
- QR display in-store
- Landing page
- Purchase journey
- Has Evans used QR effectively?
Download a copy of the report to learn more.
How much does this report cost?
You can purchase just this report for $695.
However, become a Small Business subscriber and you get total access to all our research for as little as $795.
As a Small Business subscriber you get complete access to 700+ of our research reports for a whole year. This includes all past research and all the new research we publish during the year.
Get access to Econsultancy's multi award-winning research and guides. You join our community of the world's leading digital marketing and e-commerce practitioners. Read testimonials from other subscribers to see how valuable they find Econsultancy as a resource to help them become smarter digital marketers.
Cheapest and fastest way to get this report: Become a Small Business subscriber now »
Consider your options: Find out more about why you should subscribe