I've rounded up some of the most interesting digital marketing stats I've seen this week.
Stats include the paid search market, mobile checkouts, Apple's App Store, and online video...
Paid search market trends
- The UK paid search market is expected to grow by 14% and reach a value of £4.19bn by the end of 2012, up from £3.68bn in 2011, according to Econsultancy's UK Paid Search Agencies Buyer’s Guide.
Retailers and mobile commerce
- Just 12 of the top 20 UK online retailers currently have a mobile optimised website.
- Of those with mobile sites, just five provide a guest checkout option, the others force customers to register.
- The amount of long form content viewed on connected TVs and gaming consoles increased to nearly 90% in Q1 2012 compared to 57% Q4 2011, according to a report from Ooyala.
- Mobile video showed huge growth last quarter, with the overall share of time watched on smartphones increasing by 41% to 29% overall.
Reserve and collect
- Fewer than half of the UK’s top 50 retailers currently offer a click and collect service, according to a survey by IVIS Group.
- The survey found that a quarter of the companies that do offer click and collect don’t extend the service to mobile customers.
Top social brands
- Food and drink brand Innocent has claimed top spot in a list of the top 100 social brands.
- Starbucks and telecoms provider giff gaff came second and third respectively, with Cancer Research, the British Red Cross and Met Office also present in the top ten.
Pinterest, Facebook and e-commerce
- Pinterest users are almost twice as likely to purchase a product they have seen pinned than Facebook users are to buy something they see on the social network, according to a Steelhouse study.
- More than one half of those surveyed said they regularly share their online purchases. 55% prefer to share their purchases on Facebook, followed by Twitter (22%), Pinterest (14%), and Instagram (5%).
App Store listings
- To get into the top 25 list of free apps on Apple's App Store, you need to be downloaded 40,000 times a day.
- To enter the top 25 paid apps list you need in the region of 3,500 downloads per day.
Social media management
- 52% of UK brands now have dedicated time set aside for managing social channels, 40% don’t have anyone dedicated to social media management and only 10% effectively manage social media ROI.
Map usage on smartphones
- 35% of smartphone users in five European countries reported accessing maps via their device in March 2012, compared to 49.6%t of the internet audience accessing maps on desktop.
Digital and the record industry
- Downloads and streaming accounted for 55.5% of overall UK record industry revenues in Q1 2012, according to BPI stats.
- Total digital revenues were up 24% compared to the same period in 2011, to £86.5m. Meanwhile, physical sales fell 15.1% to £69.3m.