New research suggests that trust in online retail is improving, though 24% of shoppers still have concerns over the issue.
According to the IMRG’s E-Customer Service Index, confidence in e-commerce security has risen 2% over the past three months to 76%.
But security still remains an issue for many consumers - in a government Get Safe Online study from October last year, 18% of web users said they were too concerned about security risks to shop online.
A 3V survey from September this year also supports this point - it found that 37% of web users have a 'serious fear of fraud', and would shop online more often if they were confident in the security of their transactions.
According to some research, online fraud is falling as retailers invest more in security measures and tackle the problem of public perception.
Clearly displaying third party certification logos, such as VeriSign, and making contact details available are just two basic steps which help reinforce customer trust.
Other findings of the report include:
- Etailers are getting better at customer service, with 76% of shoppers saying they were happy with the help they were offered on websites.
- 73% were satisfied with responses from online retailers via telephone and email, though this still leaves 27% of customers presumably unhappy with the way their queries / problems were handled.
The survey uses a sample of the 1.7m members of iPoints’s online loyalty programme, so presumably the respondents are reasonably savvy web shoppers.