|Job Title||Web & Social Media Strategist|
|Member Since||26 Jun 2009|
|Areas of Expertise||Content Marketing and Strategy, E-commerce, Online Copywriting, Social Media, Community Management|
I am a web and social media strategist with Jacksonville, Florida-based advertising and marketing consultancy Renaissance Creative, and a postgraduate student at City University London, where I am currently writing a dissertation about how mobile phone applications impact the ways news is distributed and consumed. I am based in Jacksonville, Florida.
My immediate background is in journalism. However more recently I have begun to work in the fields of social media marketing, community management, media blogging and web development. I previously worked as a web and social media specialist with corporate PR and marketing consultancy Glasshouse Partnership, where my primary role was devising web, social media and blogging strategy for corporate and individual clients.
I have also worked as a social media consultant for United Business Media, and as a web intern with Telegraph.co.uk, where I assisted in the re-launch of their blogs.
In addition to my personal blog, BenLaMothe.com, I am also a contributor to the top the No. 2 UK marketing blog, FreshNetworks.com; UK journalism industry blog, OnlineJournalismBlog,com; and the real-time web analysis blog Media140.org.
I have successfully developed, launched and managed two independent online-only student news magazines. The first, at Central Michigan University, is called Grand Central Magazine. It is currently run by the university and is offered as a practicum course in writing and producing for online-only media. In March 2010 it took first place in a Society of Professional Journalists competition for online-only publications.
The second, at City University London, is called CityOnline Magazine, will be re-launched in 2010 with a new staff and re-designed web interface.
Though based in Florida, I’m originally from Michigan. As a journalist there, I contributed regularly to National Public Radio – Detroit, Thompson Reuters, Detroit Free Press, Real Detroit Weekly and MLive.
Web & social media consultant at United Business Media
Web intern at The Daily Telegraph
Graduate consultant at Glasshouse Partnership
Blog posts and comments by Ben LaMothe
- Are websites a growth platform? , 19 Apr 2010
- Are websites a growth platform? , 17 Apr 2010
- Are websites a growth platform? , 16 Apr 2010
- Q&A: Patrice Lamothe of Pearltrees on personal organisation of the web, 11 Feb 2010
- How small newspapers can make money from Twitter, 18 Jan 2010
- MPs as brands: does name-recognition matter?, 7 Dec 2009
- Why newspapers need brand managers, 16 Nov 2009
- Why Facebook could be the next big news publisher, 12 Oct 2009
- Why I love Trendsmap.com (and you should too), 28 Sep 2009
- With a pay wall coming, The Times promotes the brand, 21 Sep 2009