Here are some of the most interesting digital marketing stats we’ve seen this week.
Stats include content marketing, mobile payments, US online holiday spending, Google search trends and more.
For more digital marketing stats, check out our Internet Statistics Compendium.
Why customers ‘un-friend’ brands on social media
- A third of US web users ’un-friended’ a brand on social media because they posted too many updates. (eMarketer)
- 22% severed social ties becuae the brand’s content and values were different from their original perception.
The importance of customer experience
- 40% of respondents to an Oracle survey said they would be willing to spend more with a company if they improved the overall customer experience.
- 35% want businesses to ensure they can easily ask questions and access information before making a purchase.
- Other popular improvements that would increase spending include an easy returns policy (32%) and an improvement in the overall website usability and search functionality (21%).
Top trending searches on Google in 2012
1. Whitney Houston
2. Hurricane Sandy
3. Election 2012
4. Hunger Games
5. Jeremy Lin
6. Olympics 2012
7. Amanda Todd
8. Gangnam Style
9. Michael Clarke Duncan
10. KONY 2012
1. Euro 2012
2. Olympic tickets
3. Whitney Houston
4. Kate Middleton
5. April Jones
7. NatWest online
8. iPad 3
9. Gary Barlow
10. Gangnam Style
UK web shoppers put loyalty ahead of price
- 57% of respondents to an EPIServer survey said that they prefer to buy from their favorite online retailers, even if they don’t offer the best price.
- More than a third indicated that they’ve upped their online purchases in 2012, and nearly half have made a purchase using a mobile device.
Pre-roll video ad CPMs
- The average CPM for pre-roll ads purchased through TubeMogul dropped to $8.18 in the second half of 2012, down modestly from $8.83 in the first half of the year.
- TubeMogul says more than 331m pre-roll ads were available each day in October and all told, inventory has grown 7.3% per month this year.
- Just 8% of consumers have used mobile payments in 2012, according to stats from MEF.
- When the survey was run in May this year 33% had never heard of contactless mobile payments, and that number only dropped slightly to 28% when the survey was run again in November.
- 63% of respondents said they were aware of the technology but hadn’t used it.
Challenges for online retailers
- Improving the on-site conversions is the biggest challenge for 63% of ecommerce businesses, according to a new survey by SLI Systems.
Please rank the top priorities for your e-commerce site in 2013:
- 90% of respondents to our Content Marketing Survey Report believe that content marketing will become more important over the next 12 months.
- 72% of marketers agreed that content marketing is more effective than advertising for customer engagement.
US online holiday spending
- During the first 32 days of the hokiday shopping season, a total of $21.4bn has been spent online, according to comScore.
- This is up 14% on the same period in 2011.
- Online consumer recommendations are the second most trusted source of brand advertising, according to a report from Wildfire.
- 83% of consumers say user reviews often or sometimes impact their purchase decisions, while 80% of consumers have changed their mind about a purchase having read a negative online review.