There’s no harm in pointing out some of our best articles from months and years gone by, especially when they include evergreen advice for content creators.
Leaving aside the ambiguity of the term ‘content creator’, here are some great tips for marketers working with copy, imagery and video.
1. James Carson’s 24 ingredients for a delicious content strategy
James is head of SEO and social media at The Telegraph Media Group. Back in April 2014, he wrote a long and detailed article for Econsultancy containing plenty of advice on setting your content strategy.
Read the article in full before you do your own analytics refresh, content audit, workflow planning and distribution review.
Chris Lake’s beautiful content marketing prompts
Former editor and innovation head Chris Lake has now moved on to creating his own content-oriented startup. But you can still bask in three of his beautiful memory aids.
2. A Smorgasbord of content marketing metrics
Read a few added notes from Lakey in his accompanying blog post.
Click to enlarge
3. The Content Marketing Team Matrix
What does a brilliant content team look like? Lakey envisages it in this matrix. Again, read his explanatory notes for more context.
Click to enlarge
4. The Periodic Table of Content Marketing
Lakey splits the table into strategy, formats, content types, platforms, metrics, goals, sharing triggers and checklists. No word on which are solids at room temperature, but you can use your imagination for that. Read more in the accompanying article.
Click to enlarge
5. Graham Charlton’s 15 indispensable content marketing tips
Forget the frameworks and the visualisations, Graham gives some straightforward and easy-to-follow advice based on many years as Econsultancy editor and more than 2,000 Econsultancy articles written.
6. Econsultancy’s Content Marketing Digital Template Files
Our template files are available to subscribers. The whole bundle covers a variety of channels and disciplines, including content marketing, written by James Gurd.
- Content Requirements Briefing Document
- Content Marketing Calendar
- SEO Checklist
- A Guide to Maximising the Reach of Your Content Assets
- Guide to Integrating Content into Your Website
7. 25 things Econsultancy looks for when hiring writers
Some snack-sized advice on the skills that wannabe writers should develop. We’re not recruiting at time if writing, but others are, and this is a pragmatic and inspiring list.
8. A content manager’s practical guide to doing just enough SEO
New to SEO? Here are some beginners’ tips to keep your site ticking over.
9. Christopher Ratcliff’s 17 fantastically useful tools for content writers and bloggers
Stuck for inspiration, want to improve the quality of your writing, want to write some fun lorum ipsum?
Chris Ratcliff details 17 useful tools.
10. The A-Z of online copywriting
This post is more than seven years old. How can it possibly be relevant? Well, it really is.
Lakey, again, gives sterling tips, from the inverted pyramid technique to the outdated folly of keyword stuffing.
11. Jack Simpson’s online copywriting no-nos
Jack details 10 common online copywriting mistakes. Better read it and check you haven’t transgressed.
12. Subscribers can read more of Econsultancy’s detailed reports on content strategy
- The Future of Content Strategy
- Digital Content Strategy – Best Practice Guide
- Implementing Content Strategy: Digital Best Practice
Training is also available via our one-day Content Strategy, Editorial Planning & Content Calendars training course.