- 36% of online adults use only one social network.
- Among those that use only one social network, 84% are Facebook users.
Which platform is the non-Facebook using, single social site visitor using?
- LinkedIn 8%
- Pinterest 4%
- Twitter 2%
- Instagram 2%
LinkedIn, Facebook’s nearest US rival carries the largest share of non-Facebook users. Understandable as this social network is targeted at professionals, who may not necessarily go on in for the networks that skew towards younger demographics.
A significant majority of Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and LinkedIn users also use Facebook. For instance, 83% of LinkedIn users visit Facebook as well as 93% of Instagram users.
Outside of Facebook, the sites with the highest reciprocity are Twitter and Instagram, having the biggest overlap in demographic, with urban dwelling, younger adults forming the core user groups for each. 53% of Instagram users also use Twitter.
Here’s a breakdown of the percentages of online adults and the social networks they visit.
Pinterest has seen the steepest year-on-year rise, but of course Facebook is the dominant figure on the horizon, 50% above its nearest rival.
Here are some more interesting stats from the research:
- 71% of online adults are Facebook users. This is slightly up from last year’s figure of 67%.
- Facebook has increased in popularity with the older generation, with 45% of online adults aged 65 or older using the site. This has risen from 35% in 2012.
- 63% of Facebook users visit the site at least once a day.
- 40% of Facebook users visit multiple times a day.
Instagram and Twitter
- Instagram users are just as likely to check in to that site as Facebook users are with Facebook. Which is obviously a double-win for Facebook.
- Instagram and Twitter have a much smaller number of users, but the users tend to visit these sites more frequently.
- 57% of Instagram users visit the site once a day.
- 35% of Instagram users visit the site multiple times a day.
- 46% of Twitter users visit the site once a day.
- 29% of Twitter users visit the site multiple times a day.
- Women are four times more likely to be on Pinterest than men.
- Just 23% of Pinterest users visit the site on a daily basis.
- LinkedIn is mainly popular amongst graduates and online adults from higher income households.
- It’s the only social network where usage among the 50-64 age bracket is higher than 18-29.
For UK based social network stats, read 2013’s 20 mind-blowing social media statistics.