Enter a search term such as “mobile analytics” or browse our content using the filters above.
Check your spelling or try broadening your search.
Sorry about this, there is a problem with our search at the moment.
Please try again later.
Security is big, as always, but arguably bigger than ever. Famigo is an app that provides mobile content for the family in a secure environment on a phone or tablet.
Famigo has been around for four years or so, which somewhat qualifies it out of our start up category of three years or less. However, I’ve made a rare exception, because Famigo is worth knowing about.
We asked the Famigo team about the product's USPs, and the goals and challenges they’ve met so far.
What does Famigo do?
Famigo provides a platform for families to safely discover, manage, and enjoy apps, videos, and web content on smartphones and tablets.
In one sentence, what is your product/service?
We deliver the best mobile content for families directly to a secure, sandboxed space on the device each month for a subscription fee.
What problem(s) does it solve?
We provide robust security features, such as blocking in-app purchases, allowing parents to control internet access, and taking the guesswork out of finding excellent, age appropriate content for kids.
What are your immediate goals?
Growing our subscriber base and continuing to source the best content available for families.
Forming strategic partnerships with carriers and bringing on top notch developer talent allows us to pursue these goals to the best of our abilities.
What were the biggest challenges involved in building the tech or your team?
We found that the initial stage of building partnerships requires an enormous amount of trust and time.
This was one of the biggest challenges of establishing both our team and technology, but it was also the most worthwhile.
How will the company make money?
Famigo makes money from the sale of our subscription service. These sales are made both directly to consumers through app markets, and by working with OEMs and telecom carriers.
We provide device manufacturers with a turnkey solution for easily creating kid-safe and family friendly tablets and smartphones through the use of our software.
Who is in your team?
- Q Beck, CEO: Former production and development executive at Nickelodeon and DreamWorks. MBA Finance McCombs School of Business, Columbia University BA in Film.
- Douglas Ferguson, CTO: 15+ Years as a professional software engineer, including 6+ years in CTO roles. BS Math, Biology, Chemistry - Virginia Polytechnic Institute.
- Alex Mitchell, VP Biz Dev: 18 years high-tech & telecom expereince, MBA Marketing & Finance Kellogg, BS Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering, University of Kansas.
- Matt Prickett, VP Product: Former Senior Product Manager, Zynga. MBA McCombs, Masters in Economics Colorado State, BS Economics Westminster College.
- Matt McDonnell, VP Operations: Former Classroom Teacher and Outward Bound Instructor. MBA Finance College of Charleston, BA Philosophy Colgate University, JD Candidate University of Texas Law School.
Where would you like to be in one, three and five years time?
One year: Closing more telecom and OEM deals, continuing to build relationships among content providers, and building brand awareness among consumers.
Three years: Established among consumers, telecoms, and OEMs as the mobile solution for families.
Five years: Famigo is a common household and classroom name, known for providing the best mobile content on a safe and user-friendly platform.
Other than your own, what are your favorite websites / apps / tools?
We’re suckers for the Google Sky Map app. It’s super clean, works seamlessly, and is, in a word, delightful. It’s a rare kind of tool, one that smartly adapts modern technology to share thousand of years of human knowledge in a format that is useful and inspiring.