RingCentral is a B2B enterprise with a suite of cloud-based communication products including video conferencing and team messaging. Going up against Zoom and Teams during the global Covid-19 pandemic led the company to commission digital agency Yard with a number of business objectives that would transform its SEO performance and boost leads, sales and visitors from organic traffic.
Yard’s strategy combined its expertise with technical SEO, data science and copywriting to create an approach which aimed to be both disruptive and effective. The agency team built a data-led global content strategy across 14 markets that drove additional revenue of $12m, generated 8,277 extra leads and put an extra 42% of keywords in the top 10 results for search engine results pages (SERPs), with a return on investment (ROI) of $25 for every $1 spent.
Objectives & Aims
The objectives were to:
- Generate $7.5m in additional revenue
- Generate 5,000 leads
- Generate an additional 300,000 visitors from organic traffic
- Increase the number of keywords in SERPs top 10 by 30%.
Implementation, Execution & Tactics
Yard’s starting point was the research and aggregation of data to produce an expansive data hub that included:
- Keyword detail: The full data set for keywords relating to RingCentral’s product set being tracked across all markets, aggregated by a wide range of metrics including market, tier, product, business size, industry, current clickthrough rate (CTR) and glass ceiling CTR.
- Opportunity by market by page: Calculating which URLs offer the most value and which should be considered first for optimisation. The calculation showed every mapped page across all sites globally, ordered by page score priority, and provided a broad set of statistics including average search volume, average optimal rank, whether outreach activity was needed, and the potential monthly traffic uplift with outreach activity. Once these pages optimised or created, the dashboard then ensured they did not appear again for review for three and six months respectively. This automated process was vital given the volume of content being created across several regional markets and multiple writers.
- Clickthrough rates (CTR): The actual CTR data, which helps inform what the overall opportunity is for each keyword.
It calculates real-time propensity scores, segment allocations and uses lookalike models to predict future consumer behaviour. Through Cubed, the agency provided the RingCentral team with easy-to-use interactive dashboard where the data was visualised and summarised.
The dashboard provided that allowed RingCentral to understand and prioritise the opportunity of all keywords, pages, products and categories across all markets that would provide the greatest return. It clearly identified the need for either the optimisation of existing pages or the creation of new pages, per market.
Once the strategy model was built, Yard created localised content for each market, with a particular focus on RingCentral’s blog. The team researched and wrote each piece with the nuances of the specific market in . For example, in the UK, the primary focus was building out topical blog content. For the Irish and Australian sites, creating regional product pages was more a priority.
Alongside this, Yard’s SEO team ensured the technical hygiene of the site followed industry-leading best practice. This meant that Google could easily crawl and index every web page from the outset, which in turn positively impacted rankings. The team covered every aspect from mobile optimisation to page speed and use of structured data, first conducting a thorough audit that identified the areas for improvement and then supporting RingCentral’s team with implementation.
Yard’s data aggregation, analysis and content strategy achieved the following results against RingCentral’s brief:
- Drove additional revenue of +$12m, +$5m over target
- Generated 8,277 extra leads, +66% over target
- Additional 42% of keywords in the top 10, +12% over target
- ROI of 2,406%, or $25 for every $1 spent
- Created or optimised 177 pages of content
- Drove 460,000 visits across nine months, an uplift of 20% YoY
- Increased blog traffic by 366%.