After the failure of promising startups such as Peach, Ello and Mastadon, many wondered if we would ever see the rise of another social media giant again. But TikTok looks like it has gathered a mass audience and is here to stay.
Ashley Friedlein’s marketing & digital trends for 2020 to 2030
Every year, Econsultancy founder Ashley Friedlein picks out the digital and marketing trends and developments which he believes will shape the industry and digital/marketing planning and thinking in the year ahead.
This is a special year. 2020 always used to be ‘the future’ somewhere on the horizon. Well, here we are. We need a new future. Let’s go with 2030.
Research, Best Practice and Trends
There is currently a thirst in the industry for a solution to bridge the gap between television advertising and online advertising.
1. Introduction Augmented reality (AR) is quickly becoming one of the most interesting technologies in the digital space. Although often overshadowed by virtual reality (VR), AR is expected to take the lion’s share of the market. According to one estimate, the AR market will be worth $70bn to $75bn by 2023 while VR will account […]
1. Introduction ‘Learning from Digital Disruptors’ defines best practice strategies, tactics and approaches from disruptive brands and businesses and distils key learnings that marketers can usefully apply in their day-to-day roles. The goal was to understand key thinking and innovative techniques and provide some practical guidance on their potential application in order to help marketers […]
1. Introduction Powerful technological forces are impacting the marketing profession and the companies and industries where marketers work. Econsultancy identifies, analyses and writes about many of these forces; ubiquitous connectivity, artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things to name a few. The same technologies are also enabling new and agile innovators to launch digitally enabled […]
Direct-to-consumer (D2C) brands sell their product directly to consumers, taking away the need for third-party retailers, wholesalers, and other middlemen.
1. Introduction 1.1. Executive summary Billions are being spent on digital marketing each year and the availability of digital analytics is better than ever. Although these tools are hugely beneficial to brands, they empower digital marketers to understand the ‘what’ much more than the ‘why.’ With a heavy focus on machine-optimised performance marketing, many new […]
We are currently in a new age of audio opportunity and potential.
1. Introduction 1.1. Executive summary Chatbots have seen a rise in popularity over the last few years, with the cost of implementing the technology going down and the curiosity around AI taking off. Nevertheless, the definitions around what a chatbot is and what a chatbot can do are still blurred. For the purpose of this […]
1. Introduction 1.1. Executive Summary Artificial intelligence (AI) is an area of technology that has suffered from over-hyping and confusing language, but clarity is finally developing. AI is the ability of technology to make smart decisions in a human way in relation to such things as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and translation between languages. […]
1. Introduction 1.1. Executive Summary The Internet of Things (IoT) refers to the embedding of sensors into objects so they can connect to each other and the environment via the internet. It promises a more seamless world where many decisions and actions are automated to make our lives better and easier, offering enhanced value and […]
Digital Transformation Monthly – March 2020
As digital transformation becomes a priority for organisations of all shapes and sizes, this monthly report offers valuable inspiration to both B2B and B2C companies across sectors.
The University of Southampton’s Replay campaign invites past students to share songs that evokes a university memory, collecting them in a playlist that re-engaged the alumni community, an important source of potential volunteers, donors and ambassadors.
Mediaworks’ Bee in the City app, which let Mancunians search for a colony of bee sculptures dotted around the city, gets more than 19,000 downloads, raising money for the We Love MCR Charity and reviving curiosity about Manchester’s culture.
The football club, looking to enhance engagement on both match days and non-match days, develops an app that keeps fans updated and that can hold game tickets.
From the Blog
From Advertising Week Europe to Cannes Lions Festival of Creativity, Mobile World Congress to Google I/O, many of the marketing and technology industry’s biggest conferences have either been postponed, cancelled or are looking distinctly uncertain as countries and cities move to clamp down on the spread of coronavirus.
The marketing world is no stranger to making predictions – some conservative, others more ambitious – about what our industry, and the behaviour of consumers, will look like in the future.
If you’re keen to attend our Digital Trends 2020 Breakfast Briefing on January 23rd, we regret to tell you that we are now fully booked.
These are the seven retailers at the forefront of China’s New Retail revolution
‘New Retail’. ‘Smart Retail’. ‘Boundaryless Retail’. The evolution currently taking place in China’s retail and ecommerce sector goes by a few different names, but in each case, it’s characterised by the use of technology to merge online and offline commerce.