Enter a search term such as “mobile analytics” or browse our content using the filters above.
That’s not only a poor Scrabble score but we also couldn’t find any results matching
Check your spelling or try broadening your search.
Sorry about this, there is a problem with our search at the moment.
Please try again later.
This how-to guide provides valuable insight which will help you to optimise the creation, promotion and measurement of content.
The report draws heavily on the lessons learned from writing for and editing the Econsultancy blog, and refers to written content in the form of blog articles, though the lessons apply equally well to other types of content.
"We've created this report to share the wealth of valuable lessons we've learned from writing and editing the Econsultancy blog over the last decade. It demonstrates how a strategic and creative approach to content and measurement can pay dividends".
Graham Charlton, Editor-in-Chief
What you'll learn
- Important considerations for planning a content marketing strategy to help focus on long-term goals.
- Ways to approach content creation, generate ideas and find inspiration.
- How to present and format your content to appeal to the eye and draw readers in.
- Why it's important to make the most of internal linking for both SEO as well as improving the user experience.
- Tips for producing 'evergreen' content - the gift that keeps on giving.
- Channels for promoting and distributing your content, as well as timing considerations for maximum impact.
- How to measure the performance of your content to optimise future creation.
Who should read this report?
This guide has been written primarily for writers and editors but is equally applicable to 'content producers' in general, such as PR or marketing teams.
Graham Charlton is Editor-in-Chief of the Econsultancy blog, which has more than 500,000 monthly unique users and more than 1m monthly pageviews.
He writes about all aspects of digital marketing, including mobile, ecommerce and SEO, and has also written and contributed to best practice guides on mobile marketing, the EU ‘cookie law’, ecommerce and multichannel retail.
Chris Lake is Director of Content at Econsultancy. Chris joined Econsultancy back in 2003, when CEO and co-founder Ashley Friedlein hired him as Editor, the company’s first full-time employee. He has helped to create and implement Econsultancy’s award-winning content strategy, and also created the Periodic Table of Content Marketing.
David Moth is a Deputy Editor at Econsultancy, and has written some of the blog’s most popular content since joining the content team in 2012. He covers various digital marketing and ecommerce topics, concentrating on mobile, content marketing, user experience and social media.
Guidance on developing a content strategy
We look at your people, process and technology, to help:
- Develop frameworks to assess your content.
- Review metrics, production and distribution channels.
- Implement tools to develop your strategy and manage your ROI.
Table of contents
- What is content marketing?
- The Econsultancy blog
- About Econsultancy
- About the authors
- Content Marketing Statistics
- Defining Content Marketing Strategy
- House style
- Content Creation
- Generating ideas
- Formatting and Presentation of Content
- Internal Linking Strategy
- The Value of Evergreen Content
- What is evergreen content?
- What makes a post evergreen?
- How can you produce evergreen content?
- Tips for evergreen content
- Evergreen formats
- Promotion and Distribution of Content
- Social media
- Email newsletters
- Advocacy by staff and contributors
- What to measure
- What do we do with this data?
- Setting targets and sharing metrics
- Post Publishing
- Post-publishing checks
- Ways to handle comments
- Dealing with bad comments
- Encouraging interaction
- Dealing with complaints
- Resources and Further Reading
- Useful content marketing tools
- Econsultancy reports
- Training courses
- Digital content strategy consulting
- SAMPLE: 100+ Practical Content Marketing Tips (754 KB PDF)
- 100+ Practical Content Marketing Tips (3.7 MB PDF)