The 2017 Digital Trends in Media and Entertainment report is a barometer of the extent to which companies in this sector are embracing digital technology, focusing their strategies and prioritising resources for the year ahead and beyond.
The research, conducted by Econsultancy in partnership with Adobe, is based on a sample of more than 550 media and entertainment industry respondents who were among more than 14,000 digital professionals taking part in the seventh annual Digital Trends survey, carried out in November and December 2016.
The following sections are featured in the report:
- The four traits of successful digital media and entertainment companies
- Content + data = personalised experiences
- Gearing up for the future
- Actionable tips to help future-proof your media/entertainment business
- The proportion of media and entertainment companies describing themselves as digital-first (22%) is more than double the average percentage for all other sectors (10%), and second only to the gaming & gambling sector (25%). At the other end of the scale, only 15% of media respondents say that digital marketing is ‘very much separate’.
- ‘Creating compelling content for digital experiences’ stands out as the single most exciting opportunity in 2017, selected by 22% of media organisations. Great content in isolation is not always enough. There is a growing need for media companies to create compelling experiences around their content, and to present it in the right context.
- Digital-first organisations are 17% more likely to invest in design to help differentiate their brand than laggards. Furthermore, digital leaders are 19% more likely to have the ‘processes and collaborative workflows they need to achieve a design advantage’ (75% vs. 63%). Digital leaders are also 23% more likely than laggards to say they have ‘well-designed user journeys that facilitate clear communication and a seamless transaction’.
- The relentless use of data is a feature of progressive media companies seeking to provide experiences that are as personalised and relevant as possible. Data-driven marketing is a key strategic priority for three in five (62%) media organisations, second only to customer experience (84%) in importance.
Econsultancy’s Digital Intelligence Briefings, sponsored by Adobe, look at some of the most important trends affecting the marketing landscape.
To access all of our premium content, including invaluable research, insights, elearning, data and tools, you need to be a subscriber.
Explore our subscription options and get instant access for you, your team and your organisation to a wealth of resources designed to help you achieve excellence in marketing.View our subscription options