The question of who controls how an organisation’s marketing technology budget is spent first hit the headlines in 2012 when Gartner predicted that, by 2017, CMOs would be spending more on tech than CIOs.
Since then, as marketing spend on digital channels has continued to grow, and as customer experience has become the new battleground for the hearts and minds (and wallets) of fickle, digital-savvy consumers, attention has shifted to the relationship between CMOs and CIOs. This relationship is now widely discussed as being critical for business growth.
What is clear is that, while Gartner’s prediction has come to pass, it only tells part of the story. How much the CMO and the CIO spend separately is less significant than how much they spend together, as a partnership. What matters is the collaboration.
The Future of the CMO/CIO Relationship report, published in partnership with Salesforce, examines:
- External factors affecting how marketing and IT work together.
- Direct barriers to collaboration, including culture and the way the two departments are measured.
- Real-life examples of relationships between marketing and IT, their history and how they might evolve.
- A vision for the future of CMO/CIO partnerships.
This report is based on a series of interviews conducted over the phone with senior marketers and IT executives during August and September 2018. Econsultancy would like to thank the following people in particular for their contributions:
- Ben Carter, UK Marketing Director, Just Eat
- Ian Chambers, Head of Media & Digital Marketing, TUI UK & Ireland
- Brían Corish, Chief Customer Officer and Director of Marketing & Analytics, Bank of Ireland
- Neil Costello, Head of Marketing, Atom Bank
- Mark Evans, Marketing Director, Direct Line Group Insurance
- Claire Hazle, Director of Marketing and Ecommerce, Cosmos, Archers Holidays and Avalon Waterways
- Claire Hennah, Global Ecommerce Director – Beauty & Personal Care, Unilever
- Amanda Howard, Marketing Director, Buzz Bingo
- Gadi Lahav, Head of Product, Financial Times
- Cyril Lamblard, Global Head of Ecommerce, Nestlé Nespresso
- Tamara Lohan, Founder & CTO, Mr & Mrs Smith
- Fiona McSwein, Chief of Staff, Simply Business
- Felipe Penacoba Martinez, CIO – Retail & Business Banking, Santander
- Alastair Pegg, Marketing Director, The Co-operative Bank
- Tony Preedy, Director of Marketing and International Development, Lakeland
- Rufus Radcliffe, Group Marketing and Research Director, ITV
- Fiona Spooner, Global Marketing Director, B2C, Financial Times
To access all of our premium content, including invaluable research, insights, elearning, data and tools, you need to be a subscriber.
Explore our subscription options and get instant access for you, your team and your organisation to a wealth of resources designed to help you achieve excellence in marketing.View our subscription options