Enter a search term such as “mobile analytics” or browse our content using the filters above.
That’s not only a poor Scrabble score but we also couldn’t find any results matching
Check your spelling or try broadening your search.
Sorry about this, there is a problem with our search at the moment.
Please try again later.
In association with IBM Watson Marketing
There can be no doubt that marketers are keen to embrace new platforms and technologies to help them drive growth. Sadly, it would appear that there is still a gap between those goals and the methods they have at their disposal to achieve them.
The challenge is that while new technologies and the data that underpins them have the potential to create a truly omnichannel customer experience, marketers' methodologies are still forcing everything through the same outdated, siloed processes.
The traditional funnel no longer works. It assumes audiences are linear and predictable in their behavior. At the same time, it doesn't take into account the fact that people will act the way they want to act, rather than sticking to a sequence designed by marketers.
To help marketers break free from these processes that are stopping them from capitalizing on the opportunities that more agile, disruptive companies are enjoying, this report identifies some key areas ripe for change.
The New Marketing Reality report, produced in association with IBM Watson Marketing, explores the challenges that marketers face in the three key battlefields of data, customer experience and business outcomes.
The research is based on a survey of more than 1,000 marketing, digital and ecommerce professionals.
- Audience segmentation is the topmost priority, with 72% of executives stating that they are using their data to support this activity. It is viewed as a standard tactic by even the most laggard of companies. The next most popular data-related activity is customer journey mapping, with 67% practicing it.
- The vast majority (80%) of those who rate their ability to understand the customer journey across channels and devices as 'advanced' or 'intermediate' find customer journey mapping or analysis 'highly valuable' and the remaining 20% claim it is 'quite valuable'.
- Most respondents are still finding it hard to move out of the channel-focused mindset, hampered by both technology and organizational structure.
- Considering that 83% of more advanced companies claim to practice customer journey mapping, we might expect less channel focus but 59% still have difficulty unifying their data sources and a further 61% are struggling with the complexity of their customer touchpoints.
- From a business buy-in and organizational perspective, there is still some work to do. The customer journey is still to see the sort of formalized approach that data strategies are only now beginning to enjoy.
Download a copy of the report to learn more.
Table of contents
- 1. Executive Summary
- 2. Foreword by IBM Watson Marketing
- 3. Data
- 4. Challenges and Barriers
- 5. Removing Channel Vision
- 6. The Customer Journey – Business Impacts
- 7. Key Takeaways
- 8. Appendix
1. Executive Summary
2. Foreword by IBM Watson Marketing
- An underexploited goldmine
- Sources of data
- Still blind to offline
- The customer journey’s role in the data effectiveness cycle
- Mind the gap
- Putting data into practice
4. Challenges and Barriers
- Organisational barriers
- Silos and culture
- Follower the leader
- Under-resourced and overstretched
- Technical barriers
- Too much complexity
- Inconsistency rules
- Too much confusion over metrics
- Greater technological competency required
5. Removing Channel Vision
- Data is the key to integration
- Desktop still king of channel experience
- Mobile as a platform, not a channel
- A word about search
- Email and social
6. The Customer Journey – Business Impacts
- Where is customer value unlocked?
- A valuable experience
- Retention versus acquisition – the marketing prize-fight
- It’s all about conversion
- Easy wins
- The forgotten brand
- Efficiencies: a secondary consideration
- Budgeting for the right tools and people
- Proving customer journey effectiveness
- A need for direction
- Future challenges
7. Key Takeaways
- Additional data
- Respondent profiles
- About Econsultancy
- About IBM Watson Marketing
- The New Marketing Reality (6.21 MB PDF)
- Econsultancy's Certificate in Digital Marketing & Google AdWords Qualified Individual Certification **HRDF Claimable** - Malaysia
- Masterclass in Lead Generation - Singapore
- Psychology for Digital Marketing
- Econsultancy's Certificate in Digital Marketing & Google AdWords Qualified Individual Certification - Singapore
- Mobile UX (User Experience) & Marketing