Marketers have unprecedented access to data and tools to help them reach their target audience. The availability of vast amounts of data and digital tools means that marketers can reach consumers with the right message, via the right medium, at the right time.
In order to take advantage of the opportunities presented by these vast amounts of data, organisations must invest in competencies around domains such as data and analytics, customer experience, content and mobile. They need the analytical skills to turn raw data into insight. This can be in the form of new staff and new structures in which to deploy those staff.
This report will review the role of the data professional and the approaches currently adopted by marketers to working with data and analytics teams. Specifically, this report will:
- Suggest strategies for improving understanding and co-operation between different disciplines, including marketing, and the data and analytics team.
- Identify emerging best practice in ensuring closer, more efficient working between marketers and data professionals and provide guidance on how to integrate a data function into the organisation on a structural and cultural level.
- Consider how organisations can use technology to help bridge the gap between marketing and the data function, allowing marketers to access deeper customer insights while ensuring compliance with regulations including GDPR.
Econsultancy would like to thank the following people in particular for their contributions to this report:
- James Alexander, Decisioning Director, Sky
- Debby Cannon, Head of Supporter Data, National Trust
- Simon Carter, Interim Strategy Director, Arc
- Matt Curry, Head of Ecommerce, Lovehoney
- Adrian Hado, Head of Insight, Analytics and Customer Experience, Asia Miles
- Alex Holden, Senior Consultant – Analytics & Insight, Futureheads
- Luis Fernandes, Brand Marketing Director, Expedia Inc.
- Andrew Leigh, Insight Manager, Waitrose
- David Oliver, CRM Consultant
- Simon Sproule, CMO, Aston Martin Lagonda
- Valerie Thomassin, CMO, Cegid
- Chad Wollen, CMO, Smartpipe Solutions