10. 7 Eleven Thailand: Teachers – 792,328 shares
We’ve only shown the top 10 ads here, but the top 20 list shows how video advertising is growing all around the world, with creative from 10 different countries appearing on the list.
The UK, US, Denmark, Egypt, Thailand, Bangladesh, India, Norway, the Philippines and Indonesia are all represented.
9. Cadbury’s Dairy Milk: Aliens – 852,895 shares
Dig that Euro pop.
8. Ariel: #sharetheload – 877,558 shares
7. Doritos: Ultrasound – 893,465 shares
For more analysis, see: Why the Super Bowl 50 commercials were social media failures.
6. Nike: The Switch – 969,650 shares
For more analysis, see: Euro 2016 marketing creative: smart, prestigious, controversial.
5. OK Go & S7 Airlines: Upside Down and Inside Out – 1,240,842 shares
4. Vodafone: Ramadan 2016 – 1,435,350 shares
3. Shell: Best Day Of My Life | #makethefuture – 1,683,072 shares
2. Channel 4: We Are The Superhumans – 1,851,533 shares
Sport has had a big impact on advertising this year.
Channel 4 takes second spot, with the top 20 most-shared ads also including creative aimed at the Euro 2016 football championship and Super Bowl 50.
1. John Lewis – #BusterTheBoxer – 1,949,387 shares
The trampoline-sales-boosting ad has become makes the fifth most-shared Christmas ad of all time and the most-shared John Lewis ad ever.
Ian Forrester, Global VP of Insight at Unruly, said: “Social video has dramatically evolved. Brands are adding emotional intelligence and great storytelling to digital advertising.”
He continued, “We’ve also seen the most successful creatives bubbling up from a vast range of countries and cultures, showing how digital video can break down national boundaries and become a truly global conversation.”
The average runtime for the top 20 videos was 2:49, partially driven by 7 Eleven’s Thai ad “Teachers”, which is close to nine minutes long. Other brands to make it in the top 20, which aren’t all showcased here, include McDonald’s, Volkswagen and Mentos.