The event was designed by BEcause Brand Experience and Bel UK (owners of Boursin) as a mix of virtual reality, bespoke CGI animation and live product sampling in an experiential roadshow.
Despite being a familiar name to many UK consumers, Boursin recognised that awareness of its flavours and formats was relatively low.
The brand wanted to engage a new generation of fans, increasing Boursin’s relevance to consumers’ everyday lives without losing its luxury status.
An experiential roadshow was identified as the ideal campaign medium.
But Boursin knew that a run-of-the-mill sampling roadshow wouldn’t be likely to stand out and wanted a contemporary consumer experience.
The Boursin Sensorium
This sensorium combined live multi-sensory experiences with virtual reality (VR) and a bespoke 360° CGI film to fully immerse consumers, who found themselves flying through the inside of a fridge, past carefully-chosen ingredients.
Unsurprisingly, it was the first time a food brand in the UK had brought together virtual reality and sampling.
Oculus Rift VR headsets and CGI animation were combined with a sound track, moving chairs, cool air, scented fans and product samples.
The Sensorium launched at Westfield Shopping Centre in London, before visiting a series of county shows and regional Foodie Festivals, with a team of young French ‘waiters’ acting as brand ambassadors.
The reactions of every individual participating in the VR experience were filmed in six-second clips for easy sharing on social media using the hashtag #BoursinSensorium.
The live activity was backed by influencer relations with lifestyle and food bloggers and targeted digital activity on paid-media.
To extend the experience, a special photo-booth also captured fun shots of people inside the fridge surrounded by Boursin ingredients.
#BoursinSensorium I’d like to see if anyone else at @foodiesfestival today can top our photo @BoursinCheese pic.twitter.com/689i4Q8jEk
— Tara Jane Sullivan (@tarajaneoctober) August 30, 2015
Event recall and impact
- Two months after the event took place, 98% of those asked recalled the experience.
- 62% of visitors felt they had learnt new things about Boursin, and 74% said the event had made them more likely to consider the brand in the future.
- Word of mouth far exceeded the quoted industry figure (1:4) averaging at 1:12.
- 5,097 consumers immersed in virtual reality (VR) experiences during six events and 18 days of live activity.
- 86,298 samples enjoyed by consumers.
- Using green screen technology, 1,845 people had their photos taken.
- Footage from the experience has also been used as part of a Facebook video campaign for the brand that has had over 450,000 views.
- The bespoke 360˚ CGI animation is a valuable ongoing virtual asset that has so far had over 75,000 views on YouTube and Oculus Share.
The average Boursin net promoter score prior to the event was 7.5. Post-event, this had risen to 8.3.
Significant uplifts were recorded in brand awareness for Boursin in the wake of this experiential activity, according to independent research.
- Overall awareness of the Boursin brand rose from 93% pre-event to 98% two months after the roadshow.
- Only 38% of consumers were aware that Boursin produces portions prior to the roadshows. This had increased to 73% two months later.
- Product awareness also rose significantly, with awareness of Boursin’s Black Pepper SKU rising by 32% during this period, and awareness of Boursin’s Shallot & Chive SKU rising by 44%.
Prior to the event, 19% of consumers claimed to be buying the brand on a regular and/or monthly basis. Two months later, this figure had almost doubled to 36%.