Programmatic is helping to bring change to many areas of the marketing landscape, from how we buy and sell display advertising and video media, to how budgets are spent, to the very optimisational potential of any given digital campaign.
To help you navigate the current programmatic state of play I’ve compiled the latest stats and infographics from the last six months together in one handy guide.
Nearly 75% of senior marketers are spending a proportion of their online video budget on programmatic
According to a new survey (registration needed) of 1,000 senior marketers by Unruly, three-quarters of senior marketers are expecting to shift more of their online video ad budget to programmatic over the next 12 months, while two-thirds of marketers say they have already transferred a portion of their TV ad budget to online video during the last year, illustrating the growing shift toward digital.
Unfortunately more than half of the marketers rated their programmatic video knowledge as “average”, “poor” or “very poor”.
Other business shifts include:
- In the US, the top concerns for operating in the programmatic video sector include quality of inventory (20.8%), low levels of viewability (17.7%) and the skills gap and lack of internal expertise (15.8%)
- In the UK, the top concerns are quality of inventory (17.8%), low levels of viewability (15.3%), the skills gap and lack of internal expertise (14.5%) and ad fraud – robots (14.3%)
- Emotional/psychographic targeting is the most desired programmatic targeting capability among both and US and UK marketers, ahead of demographic, prospect-based and behavioral targeting
62% of marketers use programmatic for brand campaigns
Almost two-thirds of marketers (62%) are using programmatic advertising for brand campaigns as opposed to direct response, according to the findings from our new Programmatic Branding Report.
So what are the perceived benefits of using programmatic for branding campaigns?
Our respondents identified efficiency, reduced ad costs and improved targeting as the key benefits…
More than 80% of buyers and sellers are transacting programmatically
Undertone has revealed the results of canvassing the views of 750 advertisers on programmatic.
- 80% of publishers have executed digital ads programmatically in the last year
- 81% of agencies have executed digital ads programmatically in the last year
- 82% of marketers have executed digital ads programmatically in the last year
Click the image below for much more information contained on a gigantic infographic.
Programmatic boom in South East Asia
Programmatic ad inventory has seen a huge surge in Southeast Asia in Q1, according to TubeMogul.
- The biggest surge in desktop pre-roll advertising inventory occurred in the Philippines, which saw a jump in the average number of weekly auctions from 144m in Q4 2014 to 446m in Q1 2015
- In comparison, Indonesia went from 169m to 481m and Singapore increased from 129m to 364m
- These markets are still relatively small on a global scale, but overall Southeast Asia sees 1.8bn auctions a week
Yieldr has created the following infographic to show the growth of programmatic in the last year.
- $21bn global programmatic media transactions in 2014 and a projected $53bn spend in 2019.
- 42% of total display-related spend was done programmatically in 2014, this is expected to reach 48% in 2015
Click below for the full length infographic.
75% of marketers plan to increase programmatic brand spend
Three-quarters of marketers plan to increase programmatic brand spend in the next six to 12 months, according to a survey conducted by Infectious Media.
However at the same time, two-thirds (65%) of marketers cite ‘lack of transparency of financials’ as the main barrier to really increasing programmatic ad spend.
Programmatic and social media
Yieldr has created the following infographic, breaking down the five main social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Instagram) and showing the advantages of integrating them all with a programmatic marketing platform.
Click below for a larger version.
The journey to programmatic
Here is Sociomantic Labs infographic tracing the history of programmatic marketing.
Click on the image below to see the full-length version.
For more information, download our full Programmatic Marketing: Beyond RTB report.