About the course
For your digital marketing to be effective you need to provide content that’s useful to your customers and that advances your business objectives in a measurable way. It is also vital to create high engagement by building and maintaining a community around your content. As users spend an increasing amount of time on a range of social media channels, brands need to understand where their users are most active and how they can interact and engage with them most effectively.
All of this requires careful analysis and planning. The disciplines of content strategy provides the framework for ensuring that your content delivers on these essential requirements across all relevant digital platforms.
Who should attend?
This practical course is designed for anyone in content creation and marketing that has a responsibility for writing, producing and maintaining website content and/or managing social media channels.
How will I benefit?
At the end of this workshop participants will be able to:
- Determine how the needs of your users and your business objectives inform your content strategy and community management
- Understand how to plan for a wide range of digital channels and content types, including websites, blogs, mobile apps, social media and online video
- Develop techniques to attract visitors to your website
- Understand how to engage visitors through all content channels, including your own website and third party social media platforms
- Develop a workflow that ensures your content will be on time, on budget and that it meets your requirements
- Create a strategy for the delivery and maintenance of your digital content
- Use metrics that provide actionable insights
What will I learn?
- The shift from selling to educating – content as marketing
- Identifying business objectives for your content marketing
- Resources and tools
- Researching your audience – what are their goals and objectives?
- Creating and using Personas and Scenarios
- Identifying key user journeys
- Research your audience’s online behaviour using free tools
- Create sketch Personas and Scenarios
Content strategy objectives
- Planning for content creation & management
- Business goals and conversions
- Identifying key messages
- Measuring success: analytics and KPIs
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- On-page search engine optimisation: researching and using keywords
- Off-page search engine optimisation: link building and PR
- The increasing role of social media
Community and engagement on the social web
- The impact of social media on marketing and PR
- Key channels: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and others
- Principles for increasing engagement and driving results on social media
- Social media tactics
- Building the right profile
- Increasing followers, friends and contacts
- How to promote sharing
Key points and future trends
Tim Tucker is an independent online media consultant, trainer and presenter. He started his career in print media, working as a journalist and editor at Future Publishing across a range of specialist interest sectors, including video games, music making, computing and technology. In 1999 he became an online publisher and launched DailyRadar.co.uk (now known as GamesRadar.com), which quickly became one of the world's leading video games websites.
Tim went on to work as a senior manager in the customer division at Origin Publishing, which has since been bought by the BBC and operates as BBC Customer Publishing. Here he developed publishing media for a diverse range of clients including Waterstone's, HMV, Cineworld and English Heritage.
Tim went back to Future Publishing in 2004 as part of the senior management team heading up the newly formed New Media division. As Online Group Senior Editor Tim introduced a focus on user experience and usability testing, and integrated a user centred design approach to launches such as TechRadar, MusicRadar, BikeRadar and TotalFilm.com. As part of his role he also trained web editorial, marketing and publishing teams on all aspects of web publishing.
Tim now works as a web user experience and content consultant. He supports web publishers in producing websites that are easy to use, engaging and highly rated, and advises on all aspects of content production and community strategy.